Director of Human Resources
Position Title: Director of Human Resources
Department: Forest City
Reports to: President
Date: June 2, 2021
Position Closes: Until Fulfilled
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for all aspects of human resource administration. Specific responsibilities include recruiting, selection, benefits administration, and other functions of human resource management. This position helps assure that the bank is in compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations. This is accomplished through working with managers and employees to understand and manage employee issues in a fair and equitable manner.
Understanding the fundamental strategic direction of the bank and supporting implementation of those strategies are required through its hiring and training practices. This position will assist with helping employees understand the culture and all business lines including retail, real estate, commercial, and agricultural needs to meet strategic growth.
Additionally, this position is responsible to lead the bank’s training, planning and delivery efforts. This is accomplished by both assessing the training needs of staff and then determining the appropriate courses to address the identified needs. This person may deliver some employee training such as orientation, regulatory or supervisory training.
As part of the Management Team, this position will work together with executive management to help set the overall strategic direction for staffing resources to achieve further growth goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Human Resources Administration:
- Responsible for overall management of the Human Resource functions within the bank. This includes establishing policies and procedures that will keep the bank in compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations.
- Work with managers and supervisors to create, maintain and update job descriptions and accountability grids.
- Determine best methods to attract qualified candidates for specific responsibilities. Recruit for various positions through referrals, ads, and other means; and help to coordinate the use of temporary employees.
- Responsible for initial screening of all candidates. This includes the initial interviews of the candidates with the bank. Working with managers on selection of most qualified candidate.
- Administer pre-employment tests and conduct reference checks, new employee orientations, and exit interviews.
- Work with managers to assure that evaluations are completed on a timely basis and are based on objective criteria.
- Maintain Human Resource Information System records and compiles reports from database as needed.
- Help maintain company organization charts and employee directory
- Mentors supervisors for leadership and conflict resolution along with being involved in all necessary employee disciplinary issues.
- Engages legal counsel when required with labor issues that are deemed necessary.
- Requires leadership with MBT Education Committee and collaboration with committee members. Helps to determine training needs of employees within the bank.
- Responsible to review training alternatives. Some training may be outsourced, and some may be delivered by internal staff.
- Assure that there exists a training plan which will define and assure that employees with specific training needs are receiving the opportunity to receive this training.
- May directly deliver some training. This may include the delivery of supervisor, regulatory or other training as deemed necessary by the bank.
Salary and Benefit Administration:
- Work with various benefit providers to assure that such costs are provided by the bank in a cost-effective manner
- Periodically review the salary structure within the bank to determine competitive factors and recommend changes that might be appropriate in the overall salary program.
- Work with managers to assure fair employee evaluations and salary administration process.
- Participate in benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, and approving invoices for payment.
- Take an active role in the Human Resources budget preparation process.
- Act as a liaison between benefit provider and employees when questions or concerns arise.
- Collaborates with the controller for accuracy of timeclock hours and PTO used utilizing current third-party payroll software for each pay period if necessary. Utilizes third-party software to set-up new employees for payroll, access of PTO records, and limited salary records.
- Will be responsible to develop an orientation program that helps acclimate a new employee to the bank.
- May be required to support tracking of trends in the Human Resources Department. This may include turnover rate, minority applications and the like.
- As part of the overall team of bank employees, this position may be requested to assist in the support of other bank activities.
- Travel to other locations will be required under certain circumstances such as but not limited to supervisor mentoring, employee conflict, interviews, or terminations.
Must understand all aspects of human resources. This would include legal requirements, affirmative action, hiring practices and performance management. Requires flexibility with hours worked including but not limited to some evenings and weekends.
Must embrace change and see change as opportunity. Must be willing to express and support management's ideas to affected staff.
The ability to express thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in written form to a variety of audiences and to all levels of staff.
Must understand overall bank strategic direction, including all business lines. Must be able to help with reinforcement of the culture in hiring practices, training, and in overall employee communications. Requires strategic thinking, planning and delivery along with organizational skills.
Ability to effectively manage one’s time to complete work according to established deadlines. The ability to prioritize tasks to make the best use of time for high priority tasks.
Must understand the link between needed skills and employee competency. From this ‘gap’ must be able to determine the appropriate training method to best deliver training. People management skills with the ability to motivate and encourage.
EDUCATION AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Two-year degree in Human Resources or Business Administration or significant related business experience. SHRM or HR Certification is preferred.
- Four to six years’ experience in human resources, training, or administration.
- This job requires skills needed in a typical office environment. This includes computer skills as well as utilization of office equipment.
Arrives at work on time, ready to work
Knows and uses proper business etiquette
Contributes to a team atmosphere, gets along well with supervisor and peers
Shows professional appearance and presentation
Adheres to all policies, guidelines, and procedures
Maintains confidentiality of all customer & employee information
Completes all duties in a neat, orderly, and timely manner
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standing for long periods of time with periods of sitting at desk or walking. Ability to go up and down stairs. Filing at ground level and eye level. Must be able to lift equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. Requires employee to view computer screen for long periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May have distractions from phones ringing and/or other people’s conversations. Maintains productivity standards, composure, accuracy, and a positive attitude during stressful periods, during high volume periods, minimal staffing periods, and during procedural changes. Having empathy for employees in a trouble shooting situation.
The above link is a fillable PDF form. Once completed, you can save the form electronically to send in an email or print the form to mail your application.
Application and resume can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
PO Box 450
Forest City, IA 50436
MBT Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age disability status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.